However, the simple facilities were not adequate for the electoral court at Dresden, which used the spa as a summer residence since 1775. Johann Wilhelm Chryselius, the architect of Merseburg Monastery, was therefore put in charge of redesigning it in 1776.
The delightful late baroque gardens he laid out are grouped around the mineral well and the stone balustrade, which surrounds it. A hall (kursaal) was built behind the well in 1780 followed by the colonnades in the east in 1787. Chryselius' design incorporated the palace and the large pond bordering the promenade. The main axis of the ensemble led from the palace gate to the central well and to the assembly rooms.
Some years laters, the spa faded, but Bad Lauchstädt was revived by the construction of the "Goethe Theatre" in 1802. The original stage machinery is still in use today. After the Congress of Vienna (1814/15) Bad Lauchstädt fell to Prussia. In the following years, both the spa gardens and the theatre diminished in importance, the spa was shut down in 1941.
After a flood in the 1960s, the spa was reconstructed and redesigned. The front part includes decorative flower beds, cut hedges and regular rows of trees. The rear part along the Laucha River with its large meadows and old trees resembles an English landscape park.
spa gardens accessible year-round, no entrance fee
Historische Kuranlagen und Goethe-Theater Bad Lauchstädt GmbH
Parkstraße 18, 06246 Bad Lauchstädt
phone: +49 (0) 34635-78 20
fax: +49 (0) 34635-78 222